iPhone Forum

General Discussion - How to choose a excellent DVD Converter?

gavinJiang - Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 am
Post subject: How to choose a excellent DVD Converter?
About once a month, I am asked to convert an instructional DVD into a MindBites lesson series. Unfortunately, this is easier said then done. In order to get files off of a DVD, you have to rip them, a process that involves decrypting, converting and compressing. To do this, you need a special program called a DVD Converter or DVD Ripper. When used right, DVD Converters are a video editor's best friend. They can convert .VOB_TS files (native DVD files) into multiple video formats such as MP4 and MOV, extract editable high-quality movie files as well as compress them into suitable web-optimized files. However, there are way too many on the market and most of them are not worth a rip. To be able to rip successfully, you must use a DVD Converter with fundamental features including ease of use, speed, multiple output options and customizable settings. This article helps to understand the feature of a good DVD Converter and the reviews of best DVD Converters applications.

1. Ease of us
If the program has a walloping amount of features but they are hidden behind a dysfunctional user experience design, then you're better off without it. It looks good and sounds good, but you can't understand how to use any of it. Don't be fooled into buying a product that isn't user-friendly. Always take advantage of a product's trial period to determine if it fits your workflow.

2. Speed
Let's face it–if it takes over an hour to rip an hour of footage off a DVD, then it is not ripping fast enough. Consider the following as a rule of thumb: the time it takes to rip a DVD should be half the time of the length of the DVD. I had this problem with Cinematize–it ripped beautifully, but took forever! If you're ripping multiple DVDs, you want a tool that rips quality at a fast rate.

3. Video format&codec options
First, ask yourself where the final video is going to be viewed: on the web, on an electronic device, on TV or on a DVD? Each device uses different video format and codec compression settings. A video format is a file that contains digital information. A codec is a compressor/decompressor that codes digital information into a suitable file size for playback.For example, a DVD uses a semi-lossy video format called MPEG-2 while a computer monitor streams smaller MP4 or highly-compressed MOVs. A good DVD ripping application would have the ability to choose from several different video formats (MP4, MOV, AVI, & MPEG-2) and codec options (H.264, MPEG-4, WMV). Do not purchase a DVD converter that cannot rip for different viewing devices.

4. Frame size resolution & aspect ratios
When ripping a DVD, usually it is best to use the current frame size and keep the original aspect ratio. However, for online playback, it is necessary to change the pixel aspect ratio to square (1.0) pixels from the TV NTSC standard rectangular (.9) pixels. Without these options, your ripped media might look stretched or distorted. Since most DVDs are ripped to be viewed on a computer device, a good DVD converter/ripper should have these options for output.

5. Bit rate manipulation
This is the key to ripping high quality videos. Bit rate is the amount of information that is stored in one frame of video. A low bit rate creates small files that are highly compressed while a high bit rate creates large files that are less compressed. Rule of thumb: To rip a high quality video choose a high bit rate (1000-3000 kbps), to rip a low quality video choose a low bit rate (500-800 kbps). Most DVD converters have video presets with attached bitrates, but most are without custom setttings to change video and audio bitrates. A good DVD converter provides control over variable bitrates.

6. Media selectivity
This is a great option if only a portion of the DVD is going to be used. Most DVD converters can selectively rip chapters but others can even go so far as to rip a section of a chapter. DVDxDV Pro (for MAC only) is a great tool for ripping specific timecodes but it's jinky interface and junky application is not worth the time it takes to do it. But, definitely choose a DVD converter that can at least rip selected chapters off a DVD versus the whole DVD.

7. Batch conversion support
Obviously, if the DVD allows for segmented ripping, then it should also offer a batch compression feature. If not, then another application should be considered. Roxio Toast (for MAC only) is wonderful for selecting or deselecting multiple chapters to convert. In one session, it can handle ripping a batch of chapters without having to rip one at a time.

8. Conversion diversity
Conversion diversity is the total range of video files that the software can accept and convert into another video format. An author once gave us a folder of .VOB_TS files which are the files found on an authored DVD. We had to find a DVD converter that could also convert these .VOB media files into editable .MOV formats for our own use. Luckily for us, Toast can also convert .VOB_TS files into any video format necessary. Not all DVD converters can convert files; this is definitely an asset of great DVD converters that makes them superior to good ones.

9. Encryption/decryption capability

Today, this is almost a given; most DVD converters can decrypt, convert and compress. But it used to be that two applications were necessary to rip a DVD: one to decrypt the copy protection and remove region codes, another to convert and shrink the media into a suitable format. Now, most DVD converters do both but one should not assume; always double-check.

10. Picture deinterlacing, cropping & scaling
Most DVDs are interlaced for CRT TV viewing. Interlaced video is not correctly displayed on progressive scan monitors such as a computer monitor. On computer monitors, interlaced video displays zig-zag, comb-like lines during scenes with lots of movement. In order to get rid of the combing effect, the media needs to be deinterlaced. A good DVD converter will have a deinterlacing option. Cropping and scaling features enable 16:9-to-4:3 video conversions. If a widescreen 16:9 DVD needs to play on a fullscreen 4:3 TV, this option can convert the image and elimnates the need to use another program.

A good DVD converter will have most if not all of the features I listed above. There are a plethora of them out on the market, but only a few meet my standards. Here is a list of the DVD converters that I think are the best DVD converter software:

1. MPEG Stream Clip FREE! Both MAC and PC
The first ripping tool I ever used!; works well on both operating systems. And it's free! It can rip and convert any DVD into any video format. I definitely recommend purchasing it above other programs. Only downside is that it does not rip uncompressed audio which means it has to render in Final Cut Pro and most non-linear editing programs.

2. Handbrake FREE! Both MAC and PC
If you're into free stuff, then you'll love Handbrake. It's a great program for what it is–free. It also has a simple user interface that makes it very attractive to newbie rippers.

3. DVD Fab FREE! PC-only
Another free app with lots to love!
(Not as highly rated, but still usable DVD converter software)

4. Wondershare DVD Converter Ultimate $65.95

The Ultimate version of DVD converter software, convert and edit video/DVD, rip and burn personal DVDs, copy to mobiles.

It can convert Video between Almost Any Formats, Convert within Minimum Time, Create Movie DVDs, Manage Videos from HD-Cameras, Output Videos to Various Devices, Make Videos Ready for Website, Straight from Disc to PC, Extract Soundtracks and Images from Movies, Edit Fast and Precisely with a Timeline, Batch Mode Support etc. Especially I like the friendly userface. Show it follow:

DVD Cloner $60 PC-only

DVD Decrypter FREE! PC-only
Hope this information was helpful and please feel free to share with our community what DVD converter you fancy or don't fancy so much (and why) by leaving a comment below!

Tags: DVD Converter, DVD Converter reviews, Best DVD Converter, DVD Converter software
jamesbond007 - Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 pm
Post subject: How to Rip DVD Movies From Your MAC?
It has become a fashion to use Apple’s products recently. I am getting along with the trend by purchasing a Mac. Due to its incompatible with these current mainstream of PC hardware and software systems, I am very confused to operate it. I borrowed a dvd disk from my classmate and I wanted to transfer the movies from this disk to my iPhone. However, my unfamiliar with my Mac made me feel awkward. When I was browsing the web one night, I unintentionally found a proper tool named Mac DVD Ripper
which might be the one that I needed. I downloaded it free instantly. To my surprise, this tool settled my problem in a few minutes! I want to share my happiness with you who might have the same problem with me.

This Mac DVD Ripperis a multifunctional DVD ripper for Mac OS X software. It is able to rip DVD to various video formats and audio formats, such as MP4, AVI, 3GP, FLV, MP3, WAV and so on. The output files could be supported by all kinds of video cell phones and digital video and audio players and youtube. Of course my iPhone was included. This Mac DVD Ripper could also satisfy your customized needs with the help of these function buttons: “Trim”, “Crop” and “Merge”. These buttons will instruct you How to Edit DVD (Trim video, Crop video, Make Effects).

When referring to this process of solving my problem, there is another tool that must be mentioned. It is a quite powerful tool named Mac DVD Ripper Suite that contains four main functions: DVD Ripper for Mac, Mac DVD Copy, Video Converter for Mac and Mac DVD Creator. I had used the second function to transfer movies from the disk to my Mac. I was very surprised that the transferring process didn’t affect the original disk’s parameters. Now I will tell you how did I solve my problem in the next steps.

Step 1.Free download this Mac DVD Ripper, install and launch it. Hit the button “Load DVD”, and transfer the movies from the disk to your Mac.

Step 2. Before ripping these movies, you could customize them as your wish in these aspects, such as video resolution, bite rate, sample rate, video encoder and so on.

Step 3. Click the “Format” drop-down list, you could choose the output format. In the “Output Filename” field, you are supported to rename their titles.

Step 4. Click “Start” button and you will get the output files in a few minutes.

Almost any portable devices could support DVD movies with the help of this Mac DVD Ripper. Have you become interested? Then why not have a try?

Related Links:
Mac DVD Ripper,
Mac DVD Ripper Suite,
Mac DVD to iPod Converter,
Mac DVD to iPhone Converter,
Mac DVD to MP4 Converter,
Mac DVD to Apple TV Converter,
Mac DVD to PSP Converter,
Mac DVD to BlackBerry Converter,
Mac DVD Audio Ripper
evernn - Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:43 pm
Post subject:
convert flv files downlowded from Youtube, MySpace,
Google Video, CNN, New York Times, Washington Post and other Flash Websites.
Blu ray to mp4 to convert your Blu ray to mp4 with high conversion speed and quality!
MTS converter mac is specially designed for mac users to convert various videos including vob , MOD, WMV, ASF, MPEG1, MPEG2, MP4, 3GP, 3G2, MOV, AVI, M2TS, TOD, TS/TP (for HD Video), etc with perfect output quality on Mac! Also supported audio formats like MP3, MP2, MKA, M4A, AAC, AC3, APE, OGG, etc.
WMV to iPad Converter is currently popular converting tool which be capable of allowing you to Convert WMV to iPad. With WMV to iPad Converter, you can make full use of your iPad.
dvd to ipad Free Tool is a wondeful DVD to iPad application which can convert your DVD contents to Apple iPad compatible MPEG-4 (MP4, M4V), H.264, MOV etc, and other popular file formats like AVI, WMV, MPG, MKV, VOB, 3GP, FLV etc can also be converted so that you can put on your portable devices like iPod, iPhone, iRiver, BlackBerry etc.
FDSFER - Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Post subject:
Louis Vuitton Outlet is a wonderful area for you to purchase. We all know that Louis Vuitton are always in style, but certainly expensive. And now the Louis Vuitton Online are certain features you will want to consider. They promise that there must have a suitable one for you!
Burberry outlet is now on sale! This is a good time to take a look at the bags. Our Burberry Outlet provide the fresh types of bags. Dear customers, believe that we will submit a satisfactory answer with our quality products, cheap prices and sincere service.
Louis Vuitton Outlet is usually a beneficial deal when in comparison towards the very other place. Your level of privacy will also be guaranteed as these centers is not going to divulge any kind of specifics of you and your analysis. Its wide opening and adjustable leather straps make it ideal. Our store welcome to your coming!
Our favorite street tailor, the Japanese label Deluxe, presents a solid co-branded collection in conjunction with the Black Sense Market. The pieces consist of the Memories shirt, Gallop shorts, Tropicana hat and Bandits belt.
yangyang - Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm
Post subject:
TS Converter for Mac can convert TS videos to diverse multimedia devices including iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, Smart Phone like BlackBerry, MP3/MP4 players like Archos, Creative Zen, iRiver, Pocket PC, PDA, etc.
TS is widely used in broadcast applications such as DVB and ATSC, and in tapeless video recording devices. But TS videos can't be played back or edited by mainstream video playing and editing software. While AVI possesses good compatibility with most software. So TS to AVI for Mac means a lot to Mac users who are regularly in touch with TS videos.
MPEG-4 videos (.MP4) is widely supported by all portable media players like iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, Archos, Creative Zen, iRiver etc. TS to Mp4 for Mac can directly convert TS files to videos compatible with all these media players.
TS to MPEG for Mac also supports directly converting TS videos to iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, Smart Phone like BlackBerry, MP3/MP4 players like Archos, Creative Zen, iRiver, Pocket PC, PDA, etc.
The easiest way to play TS videos on Mac, is to convert TS file to QuickTime video, that is the basic function of TS to MOV for Mac. It can accomplish the converting with fast speed and excellent output video quality.
TS to WMV for Mac is one of the best TS video converters on Mac OS. TS to WMV for Mac can convert TS videos to WMV and to other popular video formats like MPEG, AVI, MP4, DivX, H.264/AVC, MKV, RM, MOV, 3GP, etc.
TS to FLV for Mac is essential for all YouTube fans in that besides TS video, it can convert almost all video formats to FLV video. TS to FLV for Mac can also convert TS video to other popular video formats to fit diverse media players including iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, Smart Phone like BlackBerry, MP3/MP4 players like Archos, Creative Zen, iRiver, Pocket PC, PDA, etc.
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is a widely supported video compressing standard. It is supported by most multimedia devices and presents better video quality like HD videos. TS to H.264/MPEG-4 for Mac can directly convert TS to MP4 videos encoded in H.264.
ivy00135 - Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm
Post subject:
暑期打工
星座運勢
暑假打工
酒店
高雄酒店
台湾高雄夜总会
酒店
台南酒店
台南酒店
高雄酒店經紀